onsdag 17. august 2011

Spicy veggie-focaccia

This has to be the BEST bread I have ever tasted! I love the No knead breads, and last week I wanted to make a focaccia-version of it, with lots of garlic and chili. And it came out just perfect! I'm in love!

Note: the dough needs time to rise, about 12-15 hours or more, so start making this the day before you're going to serve it. 


RECIPE

Dough:
500 grams flour
1/2 tsp dry yeast
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp olive oil
4 dl cold water
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp mix of oregano, thyme, basil, or just one of those or other herbs

Topping:
Just use whatever you feel like. I usually use:
-3-4 sundried tomatoes in slices
-Black olives (forgot to use it last time, but it's really good on this focaccia)
-3-4 cloves of garlic (chopped, not shredded)
-1 onion, yellow or red or both, in slices or pieces
-1-2 sides of grilled paprika, in slices
-Couple of pickled chilipeppers in pieces (my kids don't like that, think it's too hot)

And the most important thing (believe me, you can NOT drop this!!): lots and lots of salt flakes! (I use Maldon Salt). 

The dough:
Put everything exept the oil and water into a large bowl. Mix it all together. Add the water and the oil and mix into a dough, don't stir to much. Cover the bowl with plastic (I just put the whole bowl into a plastic bag) and let it rise overnight, or at least for 12 hours. The bread gets better the longer you let the dough rise. I let it rise for 24 hours if I have the time. 

The next day, grease a small baking pan with olive oil and place it in the oven (middle). Turn the oven to 425 F. When it has reached the temperature, take out the pan and place the dough in it. Use two spoons and press the dough into the pan. Drizzle olive oil on the bread, and spread the veggies on top. Sprinkle with herbs and LOTS of salt flakes.

Cover the bread with tinfoil and place it in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Then take off the tinfoil and let the bread bake for 20 more minutes. Take it out and let it cool, before you cut it into squares. Serve it with soup or salat, or as a meal itself. Enjoy!

Ready for the oven

Right from the oven

Yummy bread

1 kommentar:

  1. WOW! Love this! I have a gluten intolerance, have you ever experimented with other flours?

    SvarSlett